2010 Journal
01 Jan 10, Friday
The new year began with fireworks and pots and pans and a trumpet with our wonderful neighbors, the Jessons. A couple of the kids were brave enough to wield sparklers. We had watched the first two “Home Alone” movies and I don’t know when I have seen Nathan laugh so much! We arose late (around 8 am) and proceeded to make breakfast. I had quietly dubbed 2010 (in my own mind) to be “the year of the dish” in which I mentally committed to remove the dishwashing task from my wife upon every opportunity. The trouble is that she’s so clean and thorough and possesses such a low tolerance for clutter that I arose that morning to find very few dishes to conquer. May all of my resolutions be so simple! For the children, Emily and I both agreed that 2010 will be “The Year of Obedience” for our children. I was more conscientious about having a family prayer before I loafed into work at about noon. I checked in with a few students and their families. I found my clinical director stressing out in her office over sending out what might be the wrong driving directions for people to attend the memorial service to be held tomorrow for our friend’s daughter who passed away suddenly at four months old. I called and reached Tekulve and he assured us there was a stake center at the coordinates where Google showed an open field and Jennifer calmed down when he texted us updated directions and she went home. I had a couple more students to talk with. I was mid-sentence explaining why a family session had not occurred when the room suddenly pitched about 45 degrees and I found myself upon the floor. Staff in the investment area who had seen me go down asked if I was okay. “No, the room is still spinning.” A few minutes later they were able to help me into a chair and called the nurse to come take my blood pressure. Nothing unusual was found and I called Emily to please bring the children in the van and pick me up at work just in case. I don’t know why I fell down suddenly and I hope it does not become a reoccurring problem. Students and staff were asking what I did for a New Year’s party. Not long after we got home, Tom, Sherri & Steven Tyler arrived to lead our family to see some Christmas lights. On some
02 Jan 10, Saturday
Made charts for the kids such as the following:
Matthew’s Happy Morning
1) Wake up
2) Pray
3) Dress
4) Scriptures
5) Breakfast
6) Play
7) REWARD!
The list is on the refrigerator with a magnet he moves like a board game piece. A piece of candy was attached to number 7. Matthew understood immediately what he was to do and ran to his room to say a prayer and asked for help getting dressed. Hayley and Nathan had to have similar lists. Printed out Scripture tracking sheet for Hayley. Attended the memorial service & luncheon for the Martial-Vann family at noon. On the way, Matthew pretended, as usual, to be racing with other cars on the freeway. We explained to Matthew that when people die, their bodies stay on the earth and their spirits return to be with God. He seemed to accept that. He also played an imaginary game about what special features (wings, jets, invisibility) our car would sprout if he pushed certain buttons. . Watched the kids while Emily did some errands and attended a wedding reception. Kids fell asleep “camping” in the living room listening to the 2nd Tennis Shoes among the Nephites book.
03 Jan 10, Sunday
Our smallest child is now in Primary. Matthew sat in the front row of the primary room with his new teacher and appeared to be a little apprehensive – but he enjoyed himself and came home wearing a little sun (for Sun Beams) on a string around his neck, explaining to us how the sun helps him be quiet. He likes his teacher and some of his classmates moved up with him from Nursery. Nathan came home with a CTR ring and a little CTR box – very excited about his new class. Hayley told us that she thinks she memorized the Plan of Salvation.
04 Jan 10, Monday
Found the
05 Jan 10, Tuesday
Emily introduced her master plan for obedience with children – stickers. The plan is that when they have amassed a pre-determined number of stickers, the family goes out for ice cream. Simple yet effective (if us adults remember to administer consistently).
06 Jan 10, Wednesday
Emily had tutoring in the afternoon. She has been tutoring the daughter of a couple in our ward in math twice a week. She has also been teaching piano to two students once a week.
07 Jan 10, Thursday
Was supposed to go to the gym for weight lifting but ended up missing the other two therapists I lift with and, with no spotters, went to the lower-level of the gym and did a cardiovascular workout by running a few laps around the track before going home.
08 Jan 10, Friday
Worked a fairly long day and came home to help get the family ready to travel to
09 Jan 10, Saturday
Drove to
10 Jan 10, Sunday
Mom and Verl spoke in Sacrament meeting in
11 Jan 10, Monday
Went on the first snowboarding trip of the year. Was pleased to report to my kids at Family Home Evening that I had not forgotten the few skills I had learned the previous year. For FHE, Each family member gave reports from the hearth/stage about their new church classes in 2009, teachers, lessons, and one wonderful thing about themselves. Matthew talked about being a Sunbeam, Nathan explained about Choosing the Right, and Hayley outlined the Plan of Salvation from memory. Emily told us about the changes in the Relief Society meetings and a lesson from Sunday School about Heavenly Father (ala the Book of Moses). I shared how elders become high priests and why I am not one yet. I also told them about a lesson reviewing the talk from the most recent General Priesthood Meeting about building relationships with our fathers & sons. After each person’s presentation, members of the audience were able to ask the speaker questions which added to the fun.
12 Jan 10, Tuesday
Emily went to a dance exercise class (called “Zoomba” which name the kids enjoy) at the
13 Jan 10, Wednesday
Have been listening to Jesus the Christ when I drive to and from work. Have also been listening to Mere Christianity again. I have been working on getting paperwork done at work, but really have not been in the office that much. I need to get things tied up there – it feels like I am in paperwork debt with interest compounding. Emily went to a home school meeting tonight. Nathan, Hayley, and Matthew have played with me much of the evening. I enjoy playing with them, laughing, and having fun. Right now Nathan and Matthew have fallen asleep and Hayley is listening to “A Child’s Prayer” from the Children’s Songbook and the Radio.LDS.org program “Scripture Stories” – tonight we were listening to the conflict between Sherem and Jacob. Prior to that, we read scriptures from Heleman 13 & 14 and talking about the signs of Jesus’ birth and of his death as well as the need for each of us to repent and rely upon Jesus to become clean and return to be with God.
14 Jan 10, Thursday
Back to the gym and boy are my arms wobbly! It’s amazing – plenty of power and going strong and then, suddenly – Kaput! and then I’ve got a bar coming down and my spotter has to save me. Not sure why my arms give out so completely so quickly. Came home from the gym and helped get the kids to bed.
15 Jan 10, Friday
Arrived at work prior to DBT skills group meeting at 9am and spent a day full of therapy, coming home after 7:30. Emily says Friday was “a good example of what happens when we have low-structure” at our house. In other words, the children were quite naughty. I got to hear the details when I got home.
16 Jan 10, Saturday
Emily went to “Zoomba” class again. She hasn’t shown me the dance she does in that class yet. I got to teach Hayley and Nathan the nuances of “Old Maid” while she was gone. We also squeezed in a few minutes of “Mario Brothers X” fan-game which the children really enjoy because we can plug in a second keyboard and have both Mario and Luigi playing at the same time. I think the kids particularly enjoy the games because of the variety challenges, tools, and puzzles. When Emily returned, I went to work on my computer emailing files and paperwork information. At about 4:30 pm, I went to the campus, cleaned my office, printed signed and filed paperwork, and did a couple of therapy sessions that got rescheduled during the week. Came home and had another late-night chat with Emily about school curriculum/schedules, budgeting, and child obedience/parenting.
17 Jan 10, Sunday
Our family was up and out early that we might stand in holy places at the naming and blessing of Blake Nelson, son of Stephen Lee Nelson & Christa Lee Ridley Nelson. I stood in the circle with Steve, Verl, Steve’s father, and others I don’t know. Blake was calm and was looking up at his father with much interest as he was blessed to be “good in sports,” “serve a mission,” & “marry in the temple.” Then we said goodbye to my parents who will be entering the MTC tomorrow and the rest of the gathering and departed the meeting between sacrament and the first talk so that we could arrive on time for the
No comments:
Post a Comment