The happy party-goers.
Big smiles, lots of chocolate.
Too much chocolate. . . .
The favorite birthday present.
Greetings all. I wrote a very long journal entry last night about what has been happening this week. I decided it might be better if I could write a little each day because it took so long. So what has been happening, you ask? No. It is too much. Lemme sum up. (name that movie)
Nathan had a great birthday. He turned 5 last Monday. We went to Chuck E. Cheese with some friends in the afternoon, and then he got spoiled with cake and presents that evening.
On Tuesday, we went to the Draper Temple open house. Despite the bitter cold and wind, it was a wonderful experience. They have things organized very well to deal with the many people that want to visit. The kids enjoyed the bus ride over to the temple from a nearby church parking lot, and the canvas tunnel leading to the doors. The kids were very well behaved and were, I think, very impressed with the beauty and peace of the temple. And of course, they appreciated the cookies at the end.
On Wednesday, we had a group of home schooling families over to do a couple of simple science experiments. It went much better than I thought it would - the kids all paid attention! They mixed colors to make a little rainbow of colored water, and we discovered that while sugar and salt are soluble in water, flour, corn starch, pepper, and a few other things, are not. I even made up a little experiment report sheet that Hayley filled out afterwards. I know, I'm still a scientist at heart, for better and worse.
Our car broke down on Sunday, and I despaired that we would not be able to get it fixed any time soon on our current budget. But on Thursday, I called a mechanic recommended to me by my uncle, and they put the belt back on and topped us off with oil (since it leaks like crazy) and only charged us $20. I was very grateful!
On Friday, after a very long work week for Dave, my sister and brother-in-law, Becky and Matt, came over to babysit the kids so that we could go on a date. We went to the temple to do sealings and then got dessert at a nearby restaurant. Dave continues to work at Provo Canyon School as a therapist. I think he likes what he is doing, but not the paperwork that goes with it. It has really been sucking up all of his time lately. So we're hoping that changes soon!
Saturday was a full day. I took Hayley to her friend's baptism in the morning. (It is amazing to me that she will be turning 8 this year!) I went to my uncle's house to grind wheat in the afternoon. We bought a 25 lb. bag of wheat a few months ago, and now I finally have flour I can use! We spent the evening at the home of one of Dave's friends from his mission. The kids had a great time playing while we chatted, and I didn't have to make dinner - always reason to celebrate. AND that night I even finished filing our tax return. It is at this season of the year that I really appreciate the government :)
On Sunday, we enjoyed a very good fast and testimony meeting despite Nathan and Matthew's antics under the bench. Dave is teaching the Marriage and Family Relations
Sunday school class, which I think is going well so far. We get comments about Hayley's singing fairly often, but this week her teacher was especially impressed. Apparently, during class, she usually sings a song to the kids from the lesson. This week, however, she didn't have much of a voice and so she started to read the words. Hayley started singing it for her and sang the whole hymn. Her teacher said it was just wonderful.
Sunday school class, which I think is going well so far. We get comments about Hayley's singing fairly often, but this week her teacher was especially impressed. Apparently, during class, she usually sings a song to the kids from the lesson. This week, however, she didn't have much of a voice and so she started to read the words. Hayley started singing it for her and sang the whole hymn. Her teacher said it was just wonderful.
That afternoon, we again listened to Nathan voluntarily read to us from his Dick and Jane book. He is getting better and better and even likes it. He also has been making some very high-pitched sounds - somewhere between a yell and a scream. When I told him to stop, he said "I'm singing opera." I still don't really know where he came up with that.
Matthew surprised us by finally figuring out how to climb down from the top bunk yesterday. I'm afraid that life as I know it has ended - he can get out of bed on his own! He is always trying keep up with his brother and sister and often succeeds in making us all laugh. And I guess he has been paying attention to politics lately. We had the picture of the 5 living presidents up on Dave's laptop and Matthew pointed and said, "That's Barak Obama." Why, yes it is. He was quite impressed with Nathan's birthday presents and is very much looking forward to turning 3 in May. When I asked him what he wanted, he said, "Some presents that I want." Somehow that doesn't help me very much.
One year ago yesterday, Hayley and I had school at home (officially) for the first time. Home schooling has certainly been an adventure, and will continue to be. Hayley has done very well and I'm pretty sure she still likes to learn. Nathan had his first day of school at home today. He practiced reading and writing and did a little math while Hayley did her assignment. I know he will be up and down about it for a while, and I'm trying my best to be understanding.




2 comments:
yaay nathan! and i am impressed with the cake. m&ms are way easier than piping frosting! way to be!
and what a great party where all the guests are adults. ;) glenn--looking so GQ in your awesome sweater and pose. we sure miss you guys!
Lemme sum up is from Princess Bride!! I hope I win the grand prize for name that movie! We are official cheerleaders for the Dave and Emily Ridley family and love to hear your updates! Thank you for keeping us on the list. You have had many tender mercies lately... $20.00 for a car repair?! I used to grind wheat at my sisters home in Orem when we were going to school at BYU! It's great to hear about your home school! Way to go! We are doing great. Christian is almost 13 and we had a celebration because he is as tall as I am now! Danny has a dog and has become the most dependable, responsible young man! Your science experiments sounded fun. Is Nathan Pavoratti still practicing? We love you guys and are so proud of you and your family and the great choices you're making and how you love to live the gosple. You are our heroes in every way. Aunt Donella
Post a Comment