Wednesday, September 17, 2008

002 - The Utah Ridleys - The House Gets Organized and Dave gets a Job


Our last episode included "Out of the mouth of babes" accounts of our recent lives. This week, we're talking (mostly) from the adult perspective.


The House
Our house is a reasonably-well-kept-but-30-year-old rental property in Orem, UT. It turned out to be about ten minutes from "the job" (see below), so that's a huge blessing. The landlord seems anxious to be helpful and so we've already done a handful of repairs. And I have found that we have mice! We are getting the rest of the boxes unpacked and starting to put up pictures.

I tacked on a picture from Google Maps taken some months (October?) before we got here. I imagine that is about what it's going to look like in a month.

My personal favorite feature of the house is the view of Mount Timpanogos from the back porch which is almost as idilic as this one http://www.peakware.com/photos/442c.jpg . Because I thought it was interesting, here's a view FROM the mountain looking down http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/88/Timp_Panaramic.jpg - if you blow it up to full size and look down toward Utah lake, you can almost pick out our house (not really). More seriously, as we were all sitting at the breakfast table this misty morning, the kids and I beheld a great white cloud that went lumbering across the green face of the mountain and it really did look just like a long, lithe dragon breathing fire and coming along down a path. As the evanescent vaporous behemoth morphed and dissipated, we made up adventures about it chasing a little knight (unseen because of distance). Hayley fancied that the dragon, having eaten, looked as though it stretched out to sleep - and, of course, when it sleeps, it becomes invisible.

The Job
I signed the paperwork for a job with Provo Canyon School yesterday and am hopefully going to start training for it on Monday.Provo Canyon School has three campuses: one for teenage boys, one for girls, and one for younger (sometimes grade school aged) students. The following web sites are for 2 of those campuses: http://provocanyon.com , http://www.sommersetprogram.com/. I expect to be mostly at the first one. I think I'm taking over for another therapist who had a caseload of 8, but the standard caseload is 9-11 residents. I was told that most of these kids are private-pay entitled rich kids, LOTS from LA County (I think the LA County school district has quite a racket going). We'll see how accurate that is.

As I was signing the paperwork yesterday, I got a call from another company ( http://www.newhavenrtc.com/ ) who want me to come out to interview (they're a little late) and a third company, Heritage School ( http://www.heritagertc.org/ ), called to say they are losing a therapist in January and want me to join them if I am at all unsatisfied with Provo Canyon.

No comments: