QuickTime medium (3.5MB) large (14.5MB) Windows Media small (716K) medium (5.1MB)
Hello and Happy Easter to you all,
I don't know if I'm succeeding on having an "Happy Easter" - there have been good parts, but I seem to have woken up on the wrong side of the bed. I got about seven hours of sleep, which is more than I usually get. I had a hard time getting out of bed and down to breakfast and seemed to be walking around in 3/4 speed all morning. Emily commented that I've been grumpy. At church, I fell asleep in class several times. At one point, I exited Primary with an autistic boy roughly in-tow who kept burrowing his head against me despite corrective attempts; I gave him a stern set of options and returned him to Primary. I got very angry at Nathan this afternoon when he very cooly and deliberately dumped a glass of milk on his knee and then refused to clean any of it up--Emily put me in time out. I got a firm talking too when I moved forward with putting 3/4 head rather than 1/2 head of cabbage (recipe calls for 1 head) in with the corned beef. So for whatever reason, I seem to be stubborn and hard-headed on this Sunday of Sundays and it is hilighting for me the flaws in my person that need to be worked on before the Second Coming.
Despite their out-of-sorts father, the kids have had a pretty good Easter. Emily staged a great in-house scripture-message-&-clue-in-egg Easter lesson this morning. Hayley and Nathan enjoyed the double feature "Lamb of God" and "Finding Faith in Christ" which re-enacted for them the reason for the season. That was our "Family Home Morning" (since we missed Family Home Evening on Monday when Emily took a call to go tutoring). Church was very good. Hayley and Nathan did a pretty good job being church-appropriate in Sacrament Meeting and Matthew only had to go out in the hall with me once. This is a victory since church happens in the very hours he would, on any other day of the week, be napping. Emily sang songs about the Resurrection of Christ with the choir and did an excellent job of it, for all we could tell. Nathan declined to go up with the Primary to sing their song, but he was a good audience member for Hayley, who enjoyed singing it enough for both of them. We had a snack after church (by then it is 4pm) and Emily and I worked on the dinner and pretty soon the whole house smelled wonderful. Our first attempt at corned beef and cabbage turned out a little tough but very tasty. Even Hayley liked it. The boys had rolls. And we've already got dinner lined up for tomorrow night. In the process of putting the kids to bed, Nathan disregarded his parents' directions several times and I put him in a time-out in the (dry) bathtub thrice, but didn't get loud and mean about it. So I've apparently repented. There is still hope that the Savior may be able to grant me at least as much patience when it comes time to call me to face the times I've disregarded Him.
For those of you on her list, Emily will probably still write her weekly update. I'm just covering the day. It should be interesting to see how many historical inaccuracies I packed into the two paragraphs above. :)
Overall - I'm very glad we have Easter once a year to bring us, as a people, together to remember the greatest of all days in history - yes, even greater than the commemoration of Christ's birth at Christmas - because, as has been said more eloquently elsewhare, if there were no Easter (whereby we celebrate Christ's overcoming sin and death through the Atonement & Resurrection), there would be no reason to celebrate Christmas. [Now that I think of it, we should start two more special holidays to celebrate the Creation and the Fall...] I know God lives and loves me and my family and it is clear that he is taking great care of us. I know Jesus is the Power behind it all that makes the whole plan work and I remember, even when I'm grumpy, that He's the One I will have to work out my problems with one way or another.
Thank you all for being part of our lives. We love you.
- David Ridley
I don't know if I'm succeeding on having an "Happy Easter" - there have been good parts, but I seem to have woken up on the wrong side of the bed. I got about seven hours of sleep, which is more than I usually get. I had a hard time getting out of bed and down to breakfast and seemed to be walking around in 3/4 speed all morning. Emily commented that I've been grumpy. At church, I fell asleep in class several times. At one point, I exited Primary with an autistic boy roughly in-tow who kept burrowing his head against me despite corrective attempts; I gave him a stern set of options and returned him to Primary. I got very angry at Nathan this afternoon when he very cooly and deliberately dumped a glass of milk on his knee and then refused to clean any of it up--Emily put me in time out. I got a firm talking too when I moved forward with putting 3/4 head rather than 1/2 head of cabbage (recipe calls for 1 head) in with the corned beef. So for whatever reason, I seem to be stubborn and hard-headed on this Sunday of Sundays and it is hilighting for me the flaws in my person that need to be worked on before the Second Coming.
Despite their out-of-sorts father, the kids have had a pretty good Easter. Emily staged a great in-house scripture-message-&-clue-in-egg Easter lesson this morning. Hayley and Nathan enjoyed the double feature "Lamb of God" and "Finding Faith in Christ" which re-enacted for them the reason for the season. That was our "Family Home Morning" (since we missed Family Home Evening on Monday when Emily took a call to go tutoring). Church was very good. Hayley and Nathan did a pretty good job being church-appropriate in Sacrament Meeting and Matthew only had to go out in the hall with me once. This is a victory since church happens in the very hours he would, on any other day of the week, be napping. Emily sang songs about the Resurrection of Christ with the choir and did an excellent job of it, for all we could tell. Nathan declined to go up with the Primary to sing their song, but he was a good audience member for Hayley, who enjoyed singing it enough for both of them. We had a snack after church (by then it is 4pm) and Emily and I worked on the dinner and pretty soon the whole house smelled wonderful. Our first attempt at corned beef and cabbage turned out a little tough but very tasty. Even Hayley liked it. The boys had rolls. And we've already got dinner lined up for tomorrow night. In the process of putting the kids to bed, Nathan disregarded his parents' directions several times and I put him in a time-out in the (dry) bathtub thrice, but didn't get loud and mean about it. So I've apparently repented. There is still hope that the Savior may be able to grant me at least as much patience when it comes time to call me to face the times I've disregarded Him.
For those of you on her list, Emily will probably still write her weekly update. I'm just covering the day. It should be interesting to see how many historical inaccuracies I packed into the two paragraphs above. :)
Overall - I'm very glad we have Easter once a year to bring us, as a people, together to remember the greatest of all days in history - yes, even greater than the commemoration of Christ's birth at Christmas - because, as has been said more eloquently elsewhare, if there were no Easter (whereby we celebrate Christ's overcoming sin and death through the Atonement & Resurrection), there would be no reason to celebrate Christmas. [Now that I think of it, we should start two more special holidays to celebrate the Creation and the Fall...] I know God lives and loves me and my family and it is clear that he is taking great care of us. I know Jesus is the Power behind it all that makes the whole plan work and I remember, even when I'm grumpy, that He's the One I will have to work out my problems with one way or another.
Thank you all for being part of our lives. We love you.
- David Ridley
ps:
Hey, for those of you who would like a short movie better than a long email, here are some that we've watched today and some we've liked on other days, etc. Most are Easter-related:
http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/special-witnesses/video/president-gordon-b-hinckley-1910-2008-garden-tomb
http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/the-bread-of-life/video/the-bread-of-life
http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/finding-faith-in-christ/video/finding-faith-in-christ
http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/special-witnesses/video/elder-jeffrey-r-holland
http://www.allaboutmormons.com/fullscreen.php
--
"[Jesus Christ] is a teacher of truth—but He is more than a teacher. He is the Exemplar of the perfect life—but He is more than an exemplar. He is the Great Physician—but He is more than a physician. He is the literal Savior of the world, the Son of God, the Prince of Peace, the Holy One of Israel, even the risen Lord."
(Thomas S. Monson, "Your Personal Influence," Ensign, May 2004, 23. )
http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/special-witnesses/video/president-gordon-b-hinckley-1910-2008-garden-tomb
http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/the-bread-of-life/video/the-bread-of-life
http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/finding-faith-in-christ/video/finding-faith-in-christ
http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/special-witnesses/video/elder-jeffrey-r-holland
http://www.allaboutmormons.com/fullscreen.php
Here is Hayley and Nathan's favorite: Crayon (2002) It comes from the following page, which has a whole bunch of them: http://www.mormon.org/homefront/0,15902,5523-1,00.html
--
"[Jesus Christ] is a teacher of truth—but He is more than a teacher. He is the Exemplar of the perfect life—but He is more than an exemplar. He is the Great Physician—but He is more than a physician. He is the literal Savior of the world, the Son of God, the Prince of Peace, the Holy One of Israel, even the risen Lord."
(Thomas S. Monson, "Your Personal Influence," Ensign, May 2004, 23. )
--
http://jesuschrist.lds.org/
No comments:
Post a Comment