Sunday, July 8, 2007

The Move

We've moved!

Click map for overview of my brother Casey's Travels -------->

And now, some 3000 miles and $1300 later, I'm unpacking boxes. Emily comes with the kids via airplane in 3 more days :)

We were most blessed! The rain fell just after we closed the trailer with car and possessions safely stowed inside. The over packed trailer tires never popped on the hot pavement (largely because we pulled it most of the way at about 55mph). And I learned from my brother--who actually watches the news--that the freeway was closed in southern Idaho about 30 minutes after we got through because of a storm, lightning, range fires, and smoke causing several very bad accidents. Probably the most damage we experienced came from the fast food we grabbed on the way through Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, and Idaho.We were greatly assisted en-caravan by:

  • Brother Casey, our fearless round-trip pickup driver and master trailer jockey & tetris-ian. He worked harder and longer than any of us. He is in serious need of good sleep.
  • Grandpa Chester, our scenic-byway orchestrator, wisdomologist, and storyteller. He kept us awake, located pit-stops, read the map, and drove an awful lot.
  • Sister Christa, who flew in to Kansas to pack, drive, tell stupid jokes, and watch Olathe fireworks. She says she's seen better. She also drove 12 hours straight and is mighty proud of it.
  • Cousin Jennie, who drove, teased, and generally gave us guff. She was a morale booster well worth going to Denver for.


The trip was largely a blur of fast food and expensive fuel stops (refer to map, above).

On Friday, I sped ahead of the trailer--which cooled its tires in Jerome at Casey's house--so that I could make it to meet someone in Meridian to get the house keys, write the check, and sign the lease so we wouldn't be locked out for the weekend. I then went to Tyler's (another brother) in nearby Kuna for some much-needed lasagna leftovers and a visit with his family. I got to meet my niece, Amber, for the first time (born 5 weeks ago). I also enjoyed watching Ty play living room tackle football, marble track, and "Jedi's" (imaginary light saber and force-blast sparring) with his three-year-old son, Zach.

Saturday is pretty good so far. The trailer arrived pre-noon and we unloaded the Mazda and the bulk of our stuffage. So now the garage is fuller. I have a lot of unpacking to do - I'm hoping I find the soap soon so I can take a real shower. 2 days on the road, no stopping + unloading the trailer = 1 smelly husband who needs to find the soap. I am also duly bearded without a razor. I suppose it is in a box around here somewhere.

The family will arrive on Tuesday at 1 PM, Mountain Time. So until then, my main goals are to get the house in reasonable order (Emily is likely to RE-order it when she arrives, but I'm going to get some of it done) and FIND A JOB! (Prayers welcome).

It's pretty here. The house is bigger than it looked in the pictures. Too much house for me. But it's nice. 3 car garage and front and back yard (fenced so Hayley, Nathan, and Matthew can play) - all for slightly LESS than the price that bought me a 3 bedroom apartment in Olathe, KS! Neighborhood seems nice too - within a few blocks we have sugar beet fields, dentist, parks, parts stores, horses, public pool, super-stores, a saloon, a cornfield, chiropractors, schools, fast food, cows, and Emily's grandparents. Quite a mix! The area is sort of half developed and half farmland all checker boarded together.

Well, I have lots to do. I just wanted to write and say "Howdy!"

- Dave

Idahoan

PS - The rest of you non-Idahoans are probably good people too...

--Quote: The Truth about Life's Great Questions is now Restored: http://www.mormon.org/

No comments: