5/27/11 - 6/5/11
What Passes for an Update
- Or -
Sending out a Quick One with Minimal Editing or Ordering the Days.
Today it was nice. I had to go sit in the back yard several times. Good weather and aint it about time! Our back yard is pleasant. I was thinking how fun it would be to take a few cinder blocks or something and set them up in the back yard for a base and then put our mattress out there and sleep out under the stars since it's such a beautiful and not-too-hot night. Stars are out, slight breeze, and the lilacs are blooming. But we're both waiting for the Allegra to kick in. And ultimately Emily would probably not go for it.
We went to Night at the Zoo on Friday - the children took many pictures with their Christmas cameras, ate free ice cream, and the boys and Emily were complemented on their jungle bongo drum playing at one booth.
Last weekend we went to my brother's 10-year renewal-of-the-vows with his wife in their Nazarene church. Stood to sing several non-traditional Christian songs, listened to the preacher talk about the covenant of marriage, and then (my favorite part) the couple read their vows to each other. Never heard my brother give a "church talk" before. Food followed (hooray!) and the obligatory decorating of the couple's "Just Remarried" getaway car. And, of course, it was VERY GOOD to see all the Ridleys in Grand View and celebrate Kasie's graduation. The kids enjoyed touring the farm and playing.
Em has been making our lawn beautiful. Kids get to pull weeds to grow their character. Em got an electric lawn-mower and put together a weed-whacker from a box from Amazon. (good work honey). Meanwhile I feel helpful because I fixed several things in the house Memorial day including installing blinds in the guest room and family. They look great if I do say so myself.
And then yesterday we collaborated on making these 5 little box things people can drop their info into to "win 2 hours free therapy." I plan to drop them at daycare places. (daycare moms are likely targets for therapy for obvious reasons).
And then there's today - I thought I was called to be gospel doctrine teacher. But for 2 weeks I was deceived. I got all ready for the class, then was told as the class was about to start that they actually wanted me to teach the Gospel Principles class (much smaller and simpler!) - so I shot from the hip and was relieved to have a tiny little audience.
Nathan and Matthew show up periodically and want me to add books to their Good Reads lists. "Where the Red Fern Grows" has been our local family travel book. Nathan's tackling Rick Riordan's "The Lightning Thief" and has made substantial progress. Matthew most recently added "Berenstain Bears' Class Trip" - but then his mother vetoed it on grounds that no one witnessed him actually reading it. So it will be added pending his reading it before a credible witness. Hayley reads everything in the junior reading universe. Emily's trying to catch up with some of the books Hayley's reading. And I'm enjoying Truman by David McCullough and the marvelous comedic writing of Pat McManus and various other lesser books.
I had a birthday. I got a tool box. Cheesecake was enjoyed in the evening. And all the next day. The memory is still enjoyed.
Thursday, July 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment