I think it's funny how the smallest inquiry at the right moment can spark a lot of helpful reflection. A friend wrote me just now and all she did was ask "How are you doing?" and I stopped to consider it. I decided that I'm mostly working hard on my new year's resolutions. I somehow saddled myself with a lot of them. The first is to begin each day actually asking God what good thing of all the limitless possibilities I may do. I actually think this how I arrived at having so many things to improve on myself as my resolutions! Trying to record some family history for my children so they have some memories of themselves when they were little. Getting some exercise for a change. Watching at least 1 relationship-focused movie (aka chick flick) per week with my wife. Holding hands more & putting some MFT-style communication tips to work at home. Dishes and laundry. Consciously playing with my kids and doing things they want to do with me. I'm doing these things now much better than, say, a month ago. I think I came to a realization several weeks back that I often ask God to help me with my projects or interests - but haven't been a very good disciple or follower in that I fail to even find out what my work or task should be for Him. This is contrary to the Master who said, "I must work the works of him that sent me..the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me....If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not." So that has been a big wake up for me of late and has been on my mind and heart as I've been evaluating how much of a hypocrite I am to fail for so long to even think to ask the Lord what He wants me to be doing with the life he's given me. I'm asking more and I'm doing more and I think those two facts are happily related.
I've got a brevity malfunction- that was a long answer to a short question. And it didn't even really answer the question. How am I doing (not what). I'm contemplative? I'm tired, but I'm slimmer, my kids like me better, I'm investing better in my relationship with Emily, and I feel like I'm doing more with my life, so it's worth feeling tired. I like being me; it's rather fun--so long as I try to be my better me and not just the lazy-floating -through-life-with-little-purpose-or-enjoyment me that I can be without any planning.
How are you?
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Doing well bro, doing well.
Post a Comment